Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, forgive me, I do not have time to select and upload photos right now, my time away from camp is time spent on camp - like so many of us, spending our at-home time preparing, reviewing, revising, etc. Like being a real teacher.

Sunday I spent about twelve hours typing up campers poems, metaphors, hyperboles, haikus - and short stories. Several of our pople are very talented, insightful young individuals, who, without doing any extraneous research, have created brief fictions based o worlds far from ours. One in particular is quite harrowing, a girl surviving a war in her homeland. I am wary of fiction that seems too imitative, but the voice is fresh and searing.

I am afraid that some may find some of our works a bit troubling - in delving into conflict resolution we are plumbing that gray area between happy and sad, but always with an eye toward the light.

Even now I just finished going over a new script based on a real-life altercation between former friends. Our playwright provides an "I wish this is the ay it turned out" ending, even thought I know that it didn't. These are pieces that will be incorporated into the book the kids will go home with at the end of camp - which is only next week. My.

No comments: